A clearer, more accurate performance management strategy
Over the past two decades, performance measurement has profoundly changed societies, organizations and the way we live and work. We can now access incredible quantities of data, display, review and report complex information in real time, and monitor employees and processes in detail. But have all these investments in collecting, analysing and reporting data helped companies, governments and people perform better?
Measurement Madness is an engaging read, full of anecdotes so peculiar you'll hardly believe them. Each one highlights a performance measurement initiative that went wrong, explains why and - most importantly - shows you how to avoid making the same mistake yourself.
The dangers of poorly designed performance measurement are numerous, and even the best how-to guides don't explain how to avoid them. Measurement Madness fills in the gap, showing how to ensure you're measuring the right things, rewarding the behaviours that deserve rewarding, and interpreting results in a way that will improve things rather than complicate them. This book will help you to recognize, correct and even avoid common performance measurement problems, including:
Measuring for the sake of measuring
Assuming that measurement is an instant fix for performance issues
Comparing sets of data that have nothing in common and hoping to learn something
Using targets and rewards to promote certain behaviours, and achieving exactly the opposite ones.
Reading Measurement Madness will enable you to design a simple, effective performance measurement system, which will have the intended result of creating value in your organization.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- From the Authors
- Part I: Introduction
- Chapter 1: The Road to Insanity
- Chapter 2: Performance and Measurement
- Part II: Performance Measurement
- Chapter 3: Measurement for Measurement's Sake
- Chapter 4: All I Need is the Right Measure!
- Chapter 5: Comparing Performance
- Part III: Performance Management
- Chapter 6: Target Turmoil
- Chapter 7: Gaming and Cheating
- Chapter 8: Hoping for A Whilst Rewarding B1
- Chapter 9: Failing Rewards and Rewarding Failure
- Part IV: Conclusions
- Chapter 10: Will Measurement Madness Ever be Cured?
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Measurement Madness: Recognizing and Avoiding the Pitfalls of Performance Measurement
- Release date: February 2015
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119970705
You might also like
Do you have a nagging feeling that your monitoring needs improvement, but you just aren’t sure …
What's the answer to today's increasingly complex web applications? Micro-frontends. Inspired by the microservices model, this …
Become well-versed with basic networking concepts such as routing, switching, and subnetting, and prepare for the …
The Art of Capacity Planning, 2nd Edition
In their early days, Twitter, Flickr, Etsy, and many other companies experienced sudden spikes in activity …