Before installing the Directory Synchronization tool, you must first activate the feature using the Office 365 Portal. Use the following procedure to activate directory synchronization using the online portal:
1. Log on to the Office 365 Portal.
2. On the left side of the main page, click Users and groups.
3. At the top of the Users and Groups page, click on the Set up link next to Active Directory synchronization.
4. At the Set Up and manage single sign-on page, under Activate Active Directory synchronization, click the Activate button.
5. At the prompt, click Activate. A notification that Active Directory synchronization is being activated should appear, as shown in Figure 22.15.