After reading this chapter, you’ll be able to do the following:
• Describe the purpose of OpenGL, and what it can and cannot do in creating computer-generated images.
• Identify the common structure of an OpenGL application.
• Enumerate the shading stages that compose the OpenGL rendering pipeline.
This chapter introduces OpenGL. It has the following major sections:
• “What Is OpenGL?” explains what OpenGL is, what it does and doesn’t do, and how it works.
• “Your First Look at an OpenGL Program” provides a first look at what an OpenGL program looks like.
• “OpenGL Syntax” describes the format of the command names that OpenGL uses.
• “OpenGL’s Rendering Pipeline” discusses the processing pipeline ...