Simplify and automate server administration tasks with PowerCLI
About This Book
- Automate VMware's VSphere environment by learning the essentials of PowerCLI
- Impress your peers by developing scripts to perform administration tasks
- Discover the intricate workings of PowerCLI through simple and real-life examples
Who This Book Is For
PowerCLI Essentials is focused toward virtualization professionals and system administrators who want to discover and learn about the automation techniques associated with PowerCLI for complex virtual environments.
What You Will Learn
- Download and install PowerCLI and its basics as well as the basics of PowerShell
- Enchance your scritping experience
- Build longer scripts and simpler reports
- Relate a task in VMware administration to a PowerCLI script
- Discover methods to acquire and change information remotely
- Set up orchestrator to manage your workflow
Have you ever wished you could automatically get a report with all the relevant information about your VMware environments in exactly the format you want? Or that you could automate a crucial task that needs to be performed on a regular basis? Powerful Command Line Interface (PowerCLI) scripts do all these things and much more for VMware environments. PowerCLI is a command-line interface tool used to automate VMware vSphere environments. It is used to handle complicated administration tasks through use of various cmdlets and scripts, which are designed to handle certain aspects of VSphere servers and to help you manage them.
This book will show you the intricacies of PowerCLI through real-life examples so that you can discover the art of PowerCLI scripting. At the start, you will be taught to download and install PowerCLI and will learn about the different versions of it. Moving further, you will be introduced to the GUI of PowerCLI and will find out how to develop single line scripts to duplicate running tasks, produce simple reports, and simplify administration. Next, you will learn about the methods available to get information remotely. Towards the end, you will be taught to set up orchestrator and build workflows in PowerShell with update manager and SRM scripts.
Style and approach
Each and every topic in this book is explained in a very easy-to-follow fashion with real-life, simple examples so you'll get an idea not only about working with PowerCLI, but will also get an idea about scripting.
Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- PowerCLI Essentials
- About the Author
- About the Reviewer
1. An Introduction to Essential Administration with PowerCLI
- Why this book, and why now?
- Understanding PowerShell versions
- Understanding PowerCLI
2. Comparing Point and Click Administration to PowerCLI and Scripting
- Getting started
- Where do we find scripts and snippets that are safe to run?
- Programming interfaces
- Writing the script
3. Enhancing the Scripting Experience
- Code repositories – why would I need that?
- Scripting with the intention to reuse
- Quality control, consistency, and simplification
- Building a VM script using all the pieces
4. Windows Administration within VMware Administration
- What is DevOps?
- Duties of the Automation Engineer
- Running remote on a Linux guest
- Introduction to vRealize Orchestrator
5. Workflows and vRealize Orchestrator
- vRealize Orchestrator
6. Running Workflows with Other VMware Products
- Orchestrating VMware products
- Orchestrating with Orchestrator
- Orchestrating the integration of NSX
- Orchestrating the integration of Site Recovery Manager
- Orchestrating the integration of Monitoring (vROps)
- Performance tools
- Orchestration of Storage (VSAN)
- Title: PowerCLI Essentials
- Release date: April 2016
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781785881770