Building on your knowledge of how to write basic applications, Pro iOS 5 Tools shows how to take your apps from promising to real, and from good to great, by using numerous performance and debugging techniques.
You will start by studying an alpha-stage iOS app and learning how you can use the tools provided in the iOS developer's toolbox, plus popular third-party tools, to take an app to a final product and ready to ship. Your own app development will never be the same again!
Learn the tools available to all iOS developers: Xcode, Instruments, network diagnostic tools and version control
Techniques for debugging by using Instruments, as well as the new features available in newest version of Xcode
Performance tuning techniques and workflow enhancements
What you'll learn
How to set up a bare-bones shopping cart app; from creating a new project to using a distributed version control system for setting up the environment
How to work your way through an app and tune the user interface for performance
How to diagnose and address memory issues, leaks and dealing with intermittent crashes
How to deal with networking issues and reliably recreate or simulate these environments
How to address multitasking, behind the scenes power drains, and reduce/optimize power usage from the radio and other power draining features in iOS devices
How to distribute your app to beta testers, prepare for the App Store and speed up development time by learning shortcuts and other enhancements to developer tools
Who this book is for
This book is for iOS developers looking to fully utilize iOS 5 tools like Xcode, Interface Builder and more, making their apps development faster and more efficient.
Table of Contents
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Authors
- About the Technical Reviewer
- Chapter 1: Wax On, Wax Off
- Chapter 2: First-Class Tools
- Chapter 3: Three Screens … and Well, It Runs
- Chapter 4: Memory Management and Diagnostics
- Chapter 5: Core Animation and Smooth Scrolling
- Chapter 6: Networking, Cache, and Power Management
- Chapter 7: Prepare the Beta!
- Chapter 8: Why Are Things Breaking?
- Chapter 9: Can We Automate Some of This?
- Chapter 10: Now, They Want an iPad Version
- Chapter 11: How Do I Share Some of This?
- Chapter 12: One More Thing
- Title: Pro iOS5 Tools: Xcode Instruments and Build Tools
- Release date: December 2011
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430236085