Like what you've read? Get more in Stumbling On Wins: Two Economists Expose the Pitfalls on the Road to Victory in Professional Sports (9780132357784) by David J. Berri and Martin B. Schmidt. Available in print and digital formats.
In basketball, spending explains less than 10% of the variation in wins. Discover what explains the other 90%!
In basketball, success takes more than money. From 1997-98 to 2003-04, the Knicks finished either first or second in payroll—and won only six more games than they lost. Their “averageness” led them to hire Isiah Thomas. Few people knew more about basketball. Thomas’s path to disaster began with his first move: sending several players and draft picks to the Suns for players, including Stephon Marbury.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- About the Authors
- 1. Maybe the Fans Are Right
- 2. Defending Isiah
- 3. The Search for Useful Stats
- 4. The Pareto Principle and Drafting Mistakes
- 5. Inefficient on the Field
- 6. Is It the Teacher or the Students?
- 7. Painting a Bigger Picture
- A. Measuring Wins Produced in the NBA
- Title: Stumbling On Wins in Basketball: Two Economists Expose the Pitfalls on the Road to Victory in Professional Sports
- Release date: April 2010
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780132120999
You might also like
Sams Teach Yourself Google Analytics™ in 10 Minutes
Sams Teach Yourself Google Analytics™ in 10 Minutes 10 minutes is all you need to learn …
You, Only Better
If you want to be happy, fulfilled and energised its probably best not to obsess over …
Analytics in Healthcare and the Life Sciences: Strategies, Implementation Methods, and Best Practices
Make healthcare analytics work: leverage its powerful opportunities for improving outcomes, cost, and efficiency.This book gives …
Making Sense of Data I: A Practical Guide to Exploratory Data Analysis and Data Mining, 2nd Edition
Praise for the First Edition "...a well-written book on data analysis and data mining that provides …