One of the fastest routes to failure is giving a brand a generic name.
History often leads us astray. In the past, some of the most successful companies (and brands) had generic names.
- General Motors, General Electric, General Mills, General Foods, General Dynamics.
- Standard Oil, Standard Brands, Standard Register Company, Standard Products Company.
- American Airlines, American Motors, American Broadcasting Company, American Telephone & Telegraph, American Express, Aluminum Company of America.
- National Broadcasting Company, National Biscuit Company, National Car Rental.
- International Business Machines, International Paper, International Harvester, International Nickel.
Some companies have even tried to combine two ...