Project Portfolio Management (PPM) is a set of processes to analyze, recommend, authorize, activate, accelerate, and monitor projects to meet organization improvement goals (see Figure 23-1). When performed successfully, PPM has yielded the following benefits:
• 20–30 percent improvement in time to market.1
• 25–300 percent improvement in number of projects completed with the same resources.2
• Average project duration cut by 25–50 percent.3
• Over 90 percent project success rate, with double the profit margin.4
• 50 percent improvement in R&D productivity.5
These achievements apply to government, not-for-profit, and for-profit entities. ...