Why the luxury market's fate rests in Chinese wallets
The media has negatively focused on the Chinese political administration clamping down on gifting. Observers have come to doubt the strength of Chinese consumption as the key driver for luxury. The Bling Dynasty illustrates how doubts about Chinese consumption are ill-founded and Chinese luxury demand is on the cusp of becoming dominant.
This book contains the research and expert views companies need to understand and address the new challenges posed by this dominance. Each chapter brings a different perspective, covering complex aspects of luxury consumption, with illustrations and real-world examples that support the research. Readers will gain insights through interviews with brand executives, retailers, experts, and consumers.
As an economic heavyweight, China is fast realizing its role in the luxury market. Chinese consumers should be accounting for more than a third of the global luxury market today, and half, if not more, in ten year's time. The Bling Dynasty runs counter to the conventional wisdom that expanding sectors become more global. Luxury is actually becoming over-dependent on Chinese sales.
Understand how Western brands developed in Asia and the challenges they are met with, notably ubiquity
Learn why Chinese are purchasing luxury items abroad and what it means for the future of the sector
Gain insights on why there are no Chinese luxury brands challenging Western models
Realize that Chinese consumers are becoming similar to their American peers and that luxury competition goes way beyond pre-conceptions
China's big spenders are increasingly mobile and this is affecting key markets. The Bling Dynasty provides new research and a comprehensive look at the booming business of luxury and the Chinese wallet.
Table of Contents
- About the Author
- List of Terms
- Introduction: The New Silk Road
Part 1: West Goes East
- Chapter 1: Eastern Promises, Delivered
- Chapter 2: The Only Way Is Up
- Chapter 3: Another French Paradox
- Chapter 4: Deconstructing the Myth
Part 2: East Goes West
- Chapter 5: The Trouble with Travel
- Chapter 6: Why Chinese Travel and Where To
- Part 3: East Meets East
Part 4: The World Meets
- Chapter 8: Pop Culture, Value for Money and Globalisation
- Chapter 9: The Chinese Luxury Empire
- Chapter 10: All In: Coach, Apple and the Cosmetic Surgeon
- Conclusion: The Bling Supremacy
- Epilogue: What Is True Luxury?
- Appendix A: Luxury Goods Basics
- Appendix B: China Statistics
- End User License Agreement
- Title: The Bling Dynasty: Why the Reign of Chinese Luxury Shoppers Has Only Just Begun
- Release date: October 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118950296