2. David U. Himmelstein, Elizabeth Warren, Deborah Thome and Steffie Woolhandler, “Illness and Injury as contributors to bankruptcy,” Health Affairs (February 2005), pp. 1377–1387.
3. Managed care plans and consumer driven health plans can involve a great variety of alternate designs.
4. Kaiser/Health Research and Educational Trust Survey of Employer-Sponsored Health Benefits, 1999–2010.
5. Robert E. Hurley, Bradley C. Strunk, and Justin S. White, “The Puzzling Popularity of the PPO,” Health Affairs, March/April 2004, p. 58.
6. Ibid., pp. 62–63.
7. Ronald E. Bachman, “Consumer-Driven Health Care: The Future Is Now,” Benefits Quarterly