One of the themes in this guidebook is the manager’s role as a coach—a person committed to the well-being of employees, a person willing to rely on the skills and experiences of those who work for him or her. Another definition of coach: a business partner.
Coaching creates a positive work environment by building mutual trust. It means that the manager provides employees with the following:
• A committed supervisor-employee relationship
• Empowerment without fear of failure
• A listening ear and continual probing feedback to make sure messages are clear and employees understand them
• Leadership availability at all times
• Continual messages of encouragement
• Diagnoses of problems with mutual supervisor-employee solutions ...