What’s different about a mentoring relationship?
Jung viewed Freud as a mentor, but he never wanted to be anybody’s disciple.
Viggo Mortensen, actor
In this chapter:
- Look at the distinct nature of the relationship a mentor has with the individual they are working with.
- Examine three typical themes that underpin all mentor relationships:
- the ‘quest’ involving challenges which must be overcome
- that the mentor has something the mentee needs
- a harmony of benevolence and respect.
- Reflect on your existing knowledge and experience of these themes.
What’s distinct about a mentor relationship?
To help us explore this idea further, let’s remind ourselves of some classic mentor relationships – see Table 2.1 overleaf.