TO OPERATIONALIZE A THEORY, the theory must be expressed in terms of its functional use for the purpose of acceptance or rejection. The Operationalize phase becomes a logical bridge between the Conceptualize and Confirm phases, but it also interplays with the Apply and Refine phases (Figure 5.1).
The purpose of this chapter is to describe specific approaches to operationalization that serve as an instructive guide. This chapter will
• define the Operationalize phase,
• describe the general inputs to this phase,
• provide a practical summary of Operationalize phase activity,
• describe the outputs of the Operationalize phase, and
• propose a set of quality indicators for Operationalize phase effort.