CONFIGURING A DATA TYPE TO YOUR NEEDS
You have seen the extreme flexibility of the built-in data types that ship with Umbraco. But what if you need to create your own variation of one of the data types described in the previous section? For example, you may need a rich text editor but you don't want all the bells and whistles that are in the standard one. You can easily create a new data type based on the TinyMCE control type (just like the built-in Richtext Editor data type). Just follow these steps:
- In the Developer section, right-click Data Types and click the Create menu item.
- Provide a name for your new data type, something unique, as shown in Figure D-20.
- In the resulting right pane, select TinyMCE v3 wysiwig as the Render Control.
- Click the Save button in the top toolbar. The settings specific to the TinyMCE control are revealed in the pane at the bottom.
- Configure the control to your needs and save it once again.
Now you can use the newly created data type in your document types, and it is rendered for editors in the Content section.
This process can, of course, be implemented with all the data types and each one will have its own settings and variations.
If you need to create a new data type with your own custom input control, see Chapter 12.