4Structuring the Organization
By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Identify at least five different types of organization design.
• Draw a diagram of an organization, showing job groupings and coordinating mechanisms.
• Explain the differences between a formal organization and an informal organization.
• List the factors that affect the selection of an organization’s formal structure.
• Describe the relationship between organization structure and business strategy.
In Chapter 3, we discussed the planning function of management and demonstrated that the planning function serves as the foundation of business, ...