Setting Up Windows 8 Family Safety
With Family Safety, Windows 8 provides four options for controlling how your children (or anyone) can use the computer. These are as follows:
- Windows Web Filters: Specify the type of content that your child is allowed to view.
- Time Limits: Specify the hours during each day that the child can use the computer.
- Windows Store and Game Restrictions: Specify whether the child can access the Windows 8 Store and if they can play games on the computer. You can also set the rating and content types that are allowed.
- App Restrictions: Select which apps and programs the child can run.
Getting to the Family Safety page
Fortunately, you don’t need to be a computer guru to set up parental controls in Family Safety. After you’ve set up appropriate user accounts, the rest is easy. Here are the steps:
- At the Windows Start screen, press Windows+W. Type fam in the search box, click Settings, and click Family Safety.
- At the Windows desktop, press Windows+X, and choose Control Panel, click User Accounts And Family Safety, and then click Family Safety.