Windows Phone 8 in Action is a comprehensive guide to developing apps for the WP8 platform. It covers the Windows Phone Runtime and .NET APIs used to work with a phone's sensors and hardware, including the accelerometer, camera, gyroscope, GPS, and microphone. You will learn to write code to dial the phone, write emails, send text messages, and recognize speech. The book also teaches you to build applications that use location and push notification.
About this Book
With 10 million (and climbing) active handsets, Windows Phone 8 has become a real alternative to Android and iOS. WP users are hungry for great apps, so it’s time for you to start creating them!
Windows Phone 8 in Action teaches you how to design, build, and sell WP8 apps. In it, you’ll learn to use the WP Runtime and .NET APIs to control key features like the accelerometer, camera, GPS, and microphone. This example-driven book also shows you how to write applications that use location and push notification, enhanced navigation services, and WP8’s deep multimedia capabilities.
You’ll need a working knowledge of C#. No experience with Windows Phone or XAML is required.
Build your first phone app
Master the Windows Phone 8 interface
How to sell on the Windows Phone Store
Use features like voice recognition and media
About the Authors
Tim Binkley-Jones has worked with XAML since the first releases of WPF and Silverlight. Adam Benoit is an independent developer with more than a dozen apps in the Windows Phone Store. Massimo Perga is an engineer at Microsoft. Michael Sync is a web and WP architect.
Table of Contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- About this Book
- About the Cover Illustration
- Part 1. Introducing Windows Phone
Part 2. Core Windows Phone
- Chapter 3. Fast application switching and resume
- Chapter 4. Scheduled actions
- Chapter 5. Launching tasks and choosers
- Chapter 6. Contacts and calendars
- Chapter 7. Storing data
- Chapter 8. Working with the camera
- Chapter 9. Integrating with the Photos and Music + Videos Hubs
- Chapter 10. Using sensors
- Chapter 11. Network communication with push notifications
- Chapter 12. Using the Speech API
- Part 3. XAML for Windows Phone
- Appendix A. XAML, the Extensible Application Markup Language
- Appendix B. Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM)
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Listings
- Title: Windows Phone 8 in Action
- Release date: January 2014
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781617291371