Press Release: August 17, 1998
Christiansen and Torkington's Perl Cookbook Released Perl 5 Pocket Reference, 2nd ed. Also ReleasedSEBASTOPOL, CA--O'Reilly and Associates has announced the release of the eagerly awaited Perl Cookbook by Tom Christiansen and Nathan Torkington.
The Perl Cookbook is a comprehensive collection of problems, solutions, and practical examples for anyone programming in Perl. More than just a collection of tips and tricks, the Perl Cookbook is the companion volume to Programming Perl, filled with previously unpublished Perl arcana.
Perl Cookbook contains thousands upon thousands of examples ranging from brief one-liners to complete applications. Covered topic areas spread across nearly four hundred separate "recipes" include:
- Manipulation of strings, numbers, dates, arrays, and hashes
- Reading, writing, and updating text and binary files
- Pattern matching and text substitutions
- Subroutines, libraries, and modules
- References, data structures, objects, and classes
- Signals and exceptions
- Accessing text, hashed, and SQL databases
- Screen addressing, menus, and graphical applications
- Managing other processes
- Writing secure scripts
- Client-server programming
- Internet applications programming with mail, news, ftp, and telnet
- CGI programming and web automation
Nathan Torkington is a Perl trainer and co-maintainer of the Perl FAQ on the Usenet newsgroup, comp.lang.perl.misc list.
Also of Interest: New Edition of the Perl 5 Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition updated to cover Perl version 5.005, this quick reference provides a complete overview of the Perl programming language, from variables to input and output, from flow control to regular expressions, from functions to document formats-all packed into a convenient, carry-around booklet. This second edition includes a summary of Perl syntax rules, a complete list of standard library modules with brief descriptions, and a precedence table for Perl operators. It also covers the newest Perl features like enhanced regular expressions, multithreading, and the Perl compiler.
By Tom Christiansen & Nathan Torkington
Foreword by Larry Wall
1st Edition August 1998 (US)
794 pages, 1-56592-243-3, $39.95 (US)
Perl 5 Pocket
Reference, 2nd Edition
By Johan Vromans
2nd Edition August
71 pages, 1-56595-495-9, $6.95