"LEGO robots go way beyond being cool toys. Combine a bunch of LEGO bricks, a standard robot brain, a talented and highly motivated online community, and your own imagination, and you've got an advanced tool for learning and teaching about robot design and programming," says Knudsen. "Best of all, it's a lot of fun."
Based on hands-on robot projects, the book includes descriptions of advanced mechanical techniques, programming with third-party software, building your own sensors, working with more than one kit, and sources of extra parts. The Unofficial Guide to LEGO® MINDSTORMS Robots goes far beyond what you'll find in the official documentation to enable you to build and program whatever you can imagine.
- Hands-on robot projects, with complete building instructions and
programs. Different aspects of these projects are used to explore
fundamental issues of mobile robot design.
- A chapter on NQC, a popular programming environment for RIS. You'll
learn how NQC fits into the RIS software architecture, as well as how
to write programs using NQC's C-like syntax. Includes copious
- A chapter on legOS, an alternate operating system for the RCX. legOS
provides very low-level access to the resources of the RCX, enabling
complex robot programming. This chapter describes legOS' structure and
includes useful sample programs.
- A chapter on pbForth, another powerful option for RCX robot
programming. The chapter includes sample programs in Forth.
- A chapter about building your own sensors. Making your own sensors is economical and educational. This chapter describes how to build several different sensors that will work with the RIS kit.
- More information
about the book, including Table of Contents, index, author bio,
online resources, and samples
Cover graphic in jpeg format
- For jpegs of two of Jonathan's robots (Minerva, the most complicated robot in his book and Trusty, who follows a line on the floor), contact: Lisa Mann 707-829-0515 ext. 230 or email@example.com
By Jonathan B. Knudsen
1st Edition, October 1999 (US)
ISBN: 1-56592-692-7, 250 pages, $24.95
For over 40 years, O’Reilly has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s SaaS-based training and learning platform. O’Reilly delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information, visit www.oreilly.com.