Sebastopol, CA--Mastery of the SQL language is one of the most important skills a database developer or database administrator can possess, say Sanjay Mishra and Alan Beaulieu, authors of Mastering Oracle SQL (O'Reilly, US $34.95). "SQL is the key to everything you do with your database," they tell us. "It's important to know how to get the most out of that interface." SQL, which stands for Structured Query Language, is the language for accessing a relational database. It allows you to create database structures, such as tables, views and indexes. It allows you to insert data into your database and to retrieve that data in a desired format. And finally, SQL allows you to modify, delete, and otherwise manipulate your stored data. In short, proficiency in writing SQL statements determines how much value you'll draw from the data in your database.
"Mastering Oracle SQL" goes beyond other books on writing SQL queries to help database professionals to harness the power of Oracle SQL to the maximum extent possible. Drawing on their many years' experience with Oracle databases, the authors have written a practical book focused squarely on Oracle's version of SQL. Mishra and Beaulieu not only cover the most important and useful of Oracle's SQL features, but also show ways to apply them to solve specific problems. Readers will learn to:
- Understand the features and capabilities of the SQL language as implemented by Oracle
- Use complex SQL features such as outer joins, correlated subqueries, hierarchical queries, grouping operations, analytical queries, etc.
- Use DECODE and CASE to implement conditional logic in SQL queries
- Write SQL statements that operate against partitions, objects, and collections such as nested tables and variable arrays
- Use the new SQL features introduced in Oracle9i, such as new date and time features, ANSI-compliant joins, and new grouping and analytical functions
- Use best practices to write efficient, maintainable SQL queries
Not just a manual, "Mastering Oracle SQL" is about creative techniques for writing effective and accurate queries. Whether readers are new to the world of databases or seasoned professionals, they will find this book to be a valuable tool. Knowing the power and flexibility of SQL will improve productivity, allowing database developers and administrators to get more done in less time, and with increased certainty that the SQL statements they write are indeed correct.
"Mastering Oracle SQL" is also available on Safari Books Online
For over 40 years, O’Reilly has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s SaaS-based training and learning platform. O’Reilly delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information, visit www.oreilly.com.