Observing how business management is obsessed with analysis and numbers, Dealing with Dilemmas shows there is an entire class of problems that cannot be solved by analysis: business dilemmas. Dilemmas, representing a large part of strategic decision-making, require the opposite approach of analysis; synthesis. Dealing with Dilemmas shows how popular performance management methodologies can be used in new and previously unexplored ways. It authoritatively shows you how your business can move forward strategically in ways previously impossible.
Shows dangers in current thinking around analytics and performance management
Includes practical case examples and interviews with C-level executives and government officials world-wide, both in commercial enterprise and public sector
Makes the most nebulous of management processes, strategy formulation, insightful and links it tightly to strategy execution and performance management.
Filled with case studies and examples, this book reveals how your business can start solving dilemmas and move forward strategically.
Table of Contents
- 1. What Is the Problem?
- 2. Strategy Is about Making Choices, or Is It?
- 3. All Kinds of Dilemmas, but Just a Few Types
- 4. The Strategy Elastic
- 5. Dealing with Dilemmas, or Not?
- 6. To Decide or Not to Decide, That Is the Question
- 7. This and That
- 8. You and Me
- 9. Now and Later
- 10. Increasing the Stakes
- 11. Closing Thoughts
A. Company Profiles
- A.1. Achmea (Europe)
- A.2. Cox Communications (United States)
- A.3. Global Soft Commodities Singapore (Anonymized, Singapore)
- A.4. Publishing Corp. (Anonymized, English-Speaking Country)
- A.5. National Central Bank (Anonymized, Europe)
- A.6. Novozymes (Denmark)
- A.7. Polycom (United States)
- A.8. Vopak (Netherlands)
- A.9. Dick Berlijn (Netherlands)
- A.10. Nirmal Singh Hansra (Australia)
- A.11. Dr. Edmund Stoiber (Germany)
- About the Author
- Title: Dealing with Dilemmas: Where Business Analytics Fall Short
- Release date: August 2010
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470630310