Performance is critical to the success of any web site, and yet today's web applications push browsers to their limits with increasing amounts of rich content and heavy use of Ajax. In this book, Steve Souders, web performance evangelist at Google and former Chief Performance Yahoo!, provides valuable techniques to help you optimize your site's performance.
Souders' previous book, the bestselling High Performance Web Sites, shocked the web development world by revealing that 80% of the time it takes for a web page to load is on the client side. In Even Faster Web Sites, Souders and eight expert contributors provide best practices and pragmatic advice for improving your site's performance in three critical categories:
- Network—Learn to share resources across multiple domains, reduce image size without loss of quality, and use chunked encoding to render pages faster.
- Browser—Discover alternatives to iframes, how to simplify CSS selectors, and other techniques.
Speed is essential for today's rich media web sites and Web 2.0 applications. With this book, you'll learn how to shave precious seconds off your sites' load times and make them respond even faster.
This book contains six guest chapters contributed by Dion Almaer, Doug Crockford, Ben Galbraith, Tony Gentilcore, Dylan Schiemann, Stoyan Stefanov, Nicole Sullivan, and Nicholas C. Zakas.
Table of contents
- Even Faster Web Sites
- 1. Understanding Ajax Performance
- 2. Creating Responsive Web Applications
- 3. Splitting the Initial Payload
- 4. Loading Scripts Without Blocking
5. Coupling Asynchronous Scripts
- Code Example: menu.js
- Race Conditions
- Preserving Order Asynchronously
- Multiple External Scripts
- General Solution
- Asynchronicity in the Real World
- 6. Positioning Inline Scripts
- Managing Scope
- Efficient Data Access
- Flow Control
- String Optimization
- Avoid Long-Running Scripts
- 8. Scaling with Comet
9. Going Beyond Gzipping
- Why Does This Matter?
- What Causes This?
- How to Help These Users?
10. Optimizing Images
- Two Steps to Simplify Image Optimization
- Characteristics of the Different Formats
- More About PNG
- Automated Lossless Image Optimization
- Alpha Transparency: Avoid AlphaImageLoader
- Optimizing Sprites
- Other Image Optimizations
- 11. Sharding Dominant Domains
- 12. Flushing the Document Early
- 13. Using Iframes Sparingly
14. Simplifying CSS Selectors
- Types of Selectors
- The Key to Efficient CSS Selectors
- CSS Selector Performance
- Measuring CSS Selectors in the Real World
A. Performance Tools
- Packet Sniffers
- Web Development Tools
- Performance Analyzers
- About the Author
- Title: Even Faster Web Sites
- Release date: June 2009
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9780596555849
You might also like
Speak with Confidence
In Speak with Confidence: Overcome Self-Doubt, Communicate Clearly, and Inspire Your Audience, keynote speaker, author, and …
Fall in Love with the Problem, Not the Solution
Unicorns-companies that reach a valuation of more than $1 billion-are rare. Uri Levine has built two. …
High Performance Web Sites
Want your web site to display more quickly? This book presents 14 specific rules that will …
The Design of Everyday Things
First, businesses discovered quality as a key competitive edge; next came science. Now, Donald A. Norman, …