Production companies are not legally required to carry any insurance other than (1) workers' compensation and employer's liability, and (2) comprehensive general and automobile liability (CGAL). The first is required at all times and everywhere; the second is required only when commercial filming is conducted outside a studio on state, county, city, or private property, or on any other location requiring a permit. It is customary and sensible, however, to put together an insurance package that addresses the potential problems and risks of the production. It is a good idea to have a broker put together the best deals, usually he or she researches a variety of different insurance companies and is not bound to any specific one.

When ...

Get Film Production Management, 3rd Edition now with O’Reilly online learning.

O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from 200+ publishers.