Book descriptionGet on Board: Earning Your Ticket to a Corporate Board Seat is a practical beginner’s guide for anyone considering becoming a director, from young professionals seeking corporate board service in the distant future to seasoned professionals contemplating an imminent career change.
Directors, chairpersons, executives, recruiters, and other professionals who assist corporate boards all agree that becoming a corporate director is a journey. The process may take one to five years and involves a lot of learning, networking, and strategic positioning. In other words, just like everything worth pursuing, it involves a lot of hard work! Yes, there are occasional glimpses of luck, but there are no magical moments, invisible hands, or other miracles.
Get on Board: Earning Your Ticket to a Corporate Board Seat is a practical beginner’s guide for anyone considering becoming a director, from young professionals seeking corporate board service in the distant future to seasoned professionals contemplating an imminent career change. This book demystifies the process, breaks down the steps, and answers the most common questions about corporate board service. It also provides examples of successful corporate director biographies and resumes. Finally, it shares actionable strategies and worksheets to help identify your unique value proposition, elevate your profile, and refine your networking strategy. You can use all of this information to start your corporate board journey today. After reading this book, you will be convinced that corporate board service is within your reach—and will be ready to pursue it actively!
Table of contents
- Half Title Page
- Title Page
- Chapter 1 Understanding Boards
- Chapter 2 Types of Boards
- Chapter 3 Why Serve on a Board?
- Chapter 4 How to Get Board-Ready?
- Chapter 5 Director Roadmap: Practical Steps to Become a Director
- Chapter 6 Who Can Join a Corporate Board?
- Chapter 7 Due Diligence: How to Join the Right Board, Grow Professionally, and Safeguard Your Director Reputation
- Chapter 8 Board Interviews
- Appendix A: Board-Readiness Worksheets
- Appendix B: Board Profile and Competency Matrix
- Appendix C: Board Search Resources
- Appendix D: Examples of Board Profile (aka Unique Value Proposition, “Super Power,” or Elevator Pitch)
- Appendix E: Examples of Board Biographies and Board Resumes/CVs
- Appendix F: Board Biography and CV Templates
- About the Author
- About the Contributor
- Title: Get on Board
- Release date: July 2019
- Publisher(s): Business Expert Press
- ISBN: 9781949991413
You might also like
Executive Presence, Second Edition: The Art of Commanding Respect Like a CEO, 2nd Edition
Be the kind of leader that other leaders envy by strategically harnessing the extraordinary power of …
The Product Manager's Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Succeed as a Product Manager, 2nd Edition
Advance in your product management career and create innovative products that customers love! Regardless of industry …
Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
Don't simply show your data—tell a story with it! Storytelling with Data teaches you the fundamentals …
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …