Yes, you can use responsive web design to create high performance, compelling websites. With this practical book, author Tom Barker demonstrates that responsive design is not just a frontend-only approach, but also a philosophy for taking advantage of the entire web stack. Responsive design patterns and anti-patterns, derived from heavily used real-world sites, are guiding principles throughout the book.
Ideal for frontend-focused web developers, this book shows you how to incorporate responsiveness and performance into your project plan, use Node.js for device-specific functionality on the backend, and write automated tests for a continuous integration environment. You’ll explore many useful tools and responsive frameworks, and gain useful insights from Barker’s own experience with responsive design along the way.
- Get a primer on web performance concepts, web runtime performance, and performance tracking tools
- Write functionality with Node.js that serves up a device-specific experience to the client
- Explore client-side solutions, such as lazy loading entire sections of a page—including images, styling, and content
- Validate service level agreements (SLAs) by writing automated tests with PhantomJS
- Examine several responsive frameworks, including the author’s server-side framework, Ripple
Table of contents
1. State of the Industry of Responsive Design
The Problem with Responsive Design
- Observations from Competitive Analysis
- How Did We Not Notice This?
- How Did We Get Here?
- Why Not Use an MDot?
- This Matters Because of Scale
- The Problem with Responsive Design
- 2. Primer on Performance of Web Applications
3. Start with a Plan
- A Journey Down the Slippery Slope
- Project Plans
- 4. The Backend
- 5. The Frontend
- 6. Continuous Web Performance Testing
- 7. Frameworks
- A. About the Author
- B. High Performance Responsive Design
- About the Author
- Title: High Performance Responsive Design
- Release date: November 2014
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491949986
You might also like
Modern Software Engineering: Doing What Works to Build Better Software Faster
Improve Your Creativity, Effectiveness, and Ultimately, Your Code In Modern Software Engineering, continuous delivery pioneer David …
High Performance Web Sites
Want your web site to display more quickly? This book presents 14 specific rules that will …
The Complete Coding Interview Guide in Java
Explore a wide variety of popular interview questions and learn various techniques for breaking down tricky …
Java Coding Problems
Develop your coding skills by exploring Java concepts and techniques such as Strings, Objects and Types, …