Banks and Other Financial Institutions
Chapter Learning Objectives...
AFTER STUDYING THIS CHAPTER, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Describe how financial institutions were impacted by the financial crisis.
- Identify the major financial institutions and their roles in the financial system.
- Describe the differences between commercial banking and investment banking.
- Identify the functions of banks and of the banking system.
- Discuss general regulation of the banking system and how depositors' funds are protected.
- Describe the structure of banks in terms of bank charters, branch banking, and bank holding companies.
- Briefly describe the bank balance sheet and the major account categories that it contains.
- Discuss bank management in terms of bank liquidity and bank solvency.
- Briefly explain why and how bank capital is managed.
- Describe the characteristics of several foreign banking systems.
Where We Have Been...
In Chapter 2, we presented an overview of the U.S. monetary system. We discussed how the monetary system is intertwined with the savings-investment process, and we identified the major participants in the monetary system. Money has three functions, which are a ...