Capital Budgeting Analysis
Chapter Learning Objectives:
AFTER STUDYING THIS CHAPTER, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Explain how the capital budgeting process should be related to a firm's mission and strategies.
- Identify and describe the five steps in the capital budgeting process.
- Identify and describe the methods or techniques used to make proper capital budgeting decisions.
- Explain how relevant cash flows are determined for capital budgeting decision purposes.
- Discuss how a project's risk can be incorporated into capital budgeting analysis.
Where We Have Been...
In Chapter 13, at the beginning of the financial management section of this book, we considered how firms will have a mission or vision statement, that is a reason for being. This current chapter will examine how firms can “put feet to their words” and make decisions to purchase fixed assets and pursue strategies to help them fulfill their mission. The previous two chapters examined how a firm should manage and finance its current assets. Now our focus will shift to fixed assets.
Where We Are Going...
Once a firm decides which fixed assets and corporate strategies to pursue, it must finance them. This ...