Learn how to build front-end applications that can help you ship applications faster with fewer defects. Many software projects fail because they are not planned well, or lack organization. Applying strategies from other industries can help you create better software. This book explores the “mise en place” technique from cooking and reveals how you can apply it to the art of creating software.
In many professional kitchens, the work of preparing a meal is divided and performed in workstations to help create the whole. You'll review the philosophy behind this and see how to leverage this approach in your code. You'll also learn to visualize your applications as a series of components and build parts of your application in isolation - just like a professional chef crafting each part of the meal.
The book describes to how to structure your code base for reuse, and how to communicate the code’s intent to other developers. You’ll develop your components in isolation and test these building blocks for quality at a granular level. Then compose these components as building blocks in increasingly complicated features. Finally, you’ll apply some strategies not directly related to code to ensure maximum quality and efficiency.
With Modern Front-end Architecture, developers of all levels will learn strategies that they and their teams can leverage to be more productive.
What You'll Learn
- Structure an application as a series of components
- Build a component library that others in an organization can leverage
- Ensure quality and accessibility at a component level rather than a page or app level
- Test code in a way that gives the maximum amount of confidence while providing an excellent developer experience
- Automate repeatable tasks
Who This Book Is For
Front end developers looking to maximize their code for reuse, quality, and shipping features quickly. Experienced developers will pick up new techniques that they can apply to their code base. Less experienced developers will be able to start applications off on the right foot.
Table of contents
- Front Matter
- 1. The Mise en Place Philosophy
- 2. Configuring Our Workspace
- 3. Our First Storybook Stories
- 4. Creating Reusable Components
- 5. Styling
- 6. Ensuring the Quality of Our Components
- 7. Interacting with API Data
- 8. Building Our Application
- 9. Automating Repetitive Tasks
- 10. Communicating Our Components
- Back Matter
- Title: Modern Front-end Architecture: Optimize Your Front-end Development with Components, Storybook, and Mise en Place Philosophy
- Release date: February 2021
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484266250
You might also like
Simplify Testing with React Testing Library
A fast-paced, practical guide to helping you leverage React Testing Library to test the DOM output …
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, 2nd Edition
If you’ve ever spent hours renaming files or updating hundreds of spreadsheet cells, you know how …
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Micro State Management with React Hooks
Explore global state management and select the best library for your application Key Features Understand the …