1. Allama Mohammad Iqbal, the mystical and neo-Hegelian poet (his Ph.D. thesis was on ‘Development of Metaphysics in Persia) who sung for the glory of India, ‘sare jahan se achha Hindustan hamara ’ says, ‘Jamhooriyat aisi tarze hukumat hai, jisme gina karte hai, taula nahin karte’, which roughly means, democracy is a system of rule in which people are counted, not weighed.
2. David Held, Models of Democracy, Polity Press, Cambridge (UK), 1987, P. 1
3. See Held, Models of Democracy, P. 2 and Heywood, Political Theory, P. 221
4. Jain, Political Theory, P. 441
5. Fareed Zakaria, The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracy At Home & Abroad, Viking, New Delhi, 2003, P. 18
6. J S Mill, Considerations on Representative Government, in On ...