This book is for anyone who wants to understand computer programming. You'll learn to program in a language that' s used in millions of smartphones, tablets, and PCs. You'll code along with the book, writing programs to solve real-world problems as you learn the fundamentals of programming using Python 3. You'll learn about design, algorithms, testing, and debugging, and come away with all the tools you need to produce quality code. In this second edition, we've updated almost all the material, incorporating the lessons we've learned over the past five years of teaching Python to people new to programming.
Table of Contents
- Practical Programming, 2nd Edition
- For the Best Reading Experience...
- Table of Contents
- What Readers Are Saying About Practical Programming, Second Edition
- Chapter 1: What’s Programming?
Chapter 2: Hello, Python
- How Does a Computer Run a Python Program?
- Expressions and Values: Arithmetic in Python
- What Is a Type?
- Variables and Computer Memory: Remembering Values
- How Python Tells You Something Went Wrong
- A Single Statement That Spans Multiple Lines
- Describing Code
- Making Code Readable
- The Object of This Chapter
Chapter 3: Designing and Using Functions
- Functions That Python Provides
- Memory Addresses: How Python Keeps Track of Values
- Defining Our Own Functions
- Using Local Variables for Temporary Storage
- Tracing Function Calls in the Memory Model
- Designing New Functions: A Recipe
- Writing and Running a Program
- Omitting a Return Statement: None
- Dealing with Situations That Your Code Doesn’t Handle
- What Did You Call That?
- Chapter 4: Working with Text
- Chapter 5: Making Choices
- Chapter 6: A Modular Approach to Program Organization
- Chapter 7: Using Methods
- Chapter 8: Storing Collections of Data Using Lists
- Chapter 9: Repeating Code Using Loops
- Chapter 10: Reading and Writing Files
- Chapter 11: Storing Data Using Other Collection Types
- Chapter 12: Designing Algorithms
- Chapter 13: Searching and Sorting
- Chapter 14: Object-Oriented Programming
- Chapter 15: Testing and Debugging
- Chapter 16: Creating Graphical User Interfaces
- Chapter 17: Databases
- Title: Practical Programming, 2nd Edition
- Release date: September 2013
- Publisher(s): Pragmatic Bookshelf
- ISBN: 9781937785451