• Principal hardware and software elements of a network
• The need for speed in computer networks
• Network hardware: routers (switches, bridges, hubs) and servers
• Network software: server operating systems
• Media options for the communications link
For the past four hours, we have examined the basic components of computers and how these components relate to networking. This hour expands this information and explains networking hardware and software in more depth. Some of the topics covered here were introduced earlier. For this hour, we take a closer look at them. The preceding discussions viewed them as standalone ingredients to the networking recipe. Now we mix them up a bit and discover ...