2. “Confidence in Institutions, 2010,” Gallup Poll (www.gallup.com/poll/141512/Congress-Ranks-Last-Confidence-Institutions.aspx).
1. Global village is a term closely associated with Marshall McLuhan, the well-known communications theorist. In his books The Gutenberg Galaxy: The Making of Typographic Man (1962) and Understanding Media (1964), McLuhan described how the globe has been contracted into a village by electric technology and that information now moves freely, and instantly, from everywhere. The results of this sudden explosion of information, and the speed at which it travels, McLuhan argued, would be a heightened human awareness of responsibility. The global village that McLuhan predicted exists today through the Internet.
2. Darren Cahr, interview with the author, December 2, 2010.
1. David Zax, “Alone Together: An MIT Professor’s New Book Urges Us to Unplug,” Fast Company, January 13, 2011 (www.fastcompany.com/1716844/alone-together-an-mit-professors-new-book-urges-us-to-unplug).
2. Farhad Manjoo, True Enough (Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2008).
4. Brian Solis, NAMPC ...