The information in this appendix is intended to be illustrative and should not be relied upon as necessarily complete or accurate. Nonetheless, it should be helpful as a starting point for specific inquiries with appropriate counsel.
1791 Revenue Act
• Tax on whiskey.
1792 Coinage Act
• Authorized minting of U.S. coins.
1798 Revenue Act
• Federal property and estate tax enacted (up to 1 percent).
• Repealed in 1805.
1807 Embargo Act
• Forbade American trade with any foreign port.
1813 Civil Rights Act
• Established citizen property rights.
1861 Revenue Act
• First federal income tax established to help finance the Civil ...