The key to understanding how your manager calculates your real value—and how to boost it
More than anything else, you need to understand exactly how your employer evaluates you, and your annual performance review doesn't tell the whole story. In The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace, Cy Wakeman shows how to calculate how your true value to your organization by understanding your current and future potential against your "emotional expense"—the toll your actions and attitudes take on the people around you. With Cy's clear, straight-to-the-point advice, you can confront and reduce your emotional costliness, become an invaluable member of your team, and even learn to love your job again.
Reveals a formula for measuring your current performance, future potential, and the biggest detractor, your emotional expense
Shares real-world advice for quickly boosting your value and becoming a highly-valued, sought after employee and teammate
Builds on the lessons in Reality-Based Leadership, Cy Wakeman's first book for leaders and managers
The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace is the essential guide for boosting your value, owning your career, and becoming the kind of employee no organization can afford to lose.
Table of contents
- Praise for The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace
- Title Page
- Introduction: The New Rules of the Game
Part One: The New Value Equation
- Chapter 1: Your Current Performance
- Chapter 2: Your Future Potential
- Chapter 3: Your Emotional Expensiveness
Part Two: The Five Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace
- Chapter 4: Rule #1: Your Level of Accountability Determines Your Level of Happiness, so DON'T HOPE TO BE LUCKY. CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY.
- Chapter 5: Rule #2: Suffering Is Optional, so DITCH THE DRAMA!
- Chapter 6: Rule #3: Buy-In Is Not Optional. YOUR ACTION, NOT OPINION, ADDS VALUE.
- Chapter 7: Rule #4: Say “Yes” to What's Next. CHANGE IS OPPORTUNITY.
- Chapter 8: Rule #5: You Will Always Have Extenuating Circumstances. SUCCEED ANYWAY.
- Call to Action: Put the New Rules to Work
- About the Author
- Title: The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace: Know What Boosts Your Value, Kills Your Chances, and Will Make You Happier
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9781118413685
You might also like
97 Things Every Engineering Manager Should Know
Tap into the wisdom of experts to learn what every engineering manager should know. With 97 …
Unit Testing Principles, Practices, and Patterns
Unit Testing Principles, Patterns and Practices teaches you to design and write tests that target the …
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …