"You should read this book and take Steve Weisman's advice. And from the money and assets he helps you protect, take a few dollars and buy a copy for a good friend."
--Alan Colmes, Syndicated radio talk show host and co-host of Hannity and Colmes on Fox News Channel
Scams are everywhere...now discover exactly how to protect yourself!
· The truth about recognizing today’s newest scams--online and off
· The truth about safeguarding your money, health, and reputation
· The truth about phishing, vishing, pharming, slamming, and more
Scams have always been with us, and they always will be - except now, technology makes scammers' jobs even easier, enabling them to reach out from anywhere around the world, and take advantage of more people than ever before. No matter how smart you think you are, you can easily become a victim: in fact, scammers have discovered that educated, sophisticated individuals are among their best targets. The Truth About Avoiding Scams arms you with everything you need to protect yourself: real, up-to-the-minute knowledge, and the "internal sensors" you need to sniff out even the subtlest, most well-crafted scams. Consumer finance expert and nationally syndicated radio host Steve Weisman offers quick, bite-size, just-the-facts information about every type of fraud, from identity scams to computer-based fraud, travel and health scams to phony educational loans and scholarships. Weisman exposes the new epidemic of "affinity fraud," where "people just like you" target you based on your ethnicity, racial group, church, club, or fraternal organization. You'll find up-to-the-minute guidance on avoiding illegitimate online dating services; "cramming" and other phone frauds; tax and Social Security scams; employment, home repair, and investment scams; and a whole lot more.
Unlike some books on scams, this one's simple to read, simple to use, up to date, and complete: the only guide you need to keep yourself safe!
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- TRUTH 1 Credit cards
- TRUTH 2 More credit card offers
- TRUTH 3 Skimmers and ATM scams
- TRUTH 4 Free credit report
- TRUTH 5 Credit repair services
- TRUTH 6 Credit counseling agencies
- TRUTH 7 Credit card rate reduction scam
- TRUTH 8 Advance fee credit cards
- TRUTH 9 Credit card alarms in the night
- Title: The Truth About Avoiding Credit Scams: The Essential Truths in 20 Minutes
- Release date: January 2008
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780137001873