The secret to movement marketing?
Your customers want to make a difference
“Scott Goodson and his StrawberryFrog colleagues have found the secret to plugging into Purpose with a capital P: find out what moves people to action, then create a way to support and enhance that movement with your product, service, or craft. I call that a winning strategy.”
—Daniel H. Pink, author of Drive and A Whole New Mind
“Want to change your customers’ buying habits? Want to change the world? Stop marketing, read this book, roll up your sleeves, and start a movement.”
—Sally Hogshead, author of Fascinate and creator of HowToFascinate.com
“Essential stuff. One of the smartest thinkers on branding on one of the most important developments in that critical intersection between culture and marketing.”
—Adam Morgan, author of Eating the Big Fish and The Pirate Inside
“A well-researched and insightful book that will hopefully spark a movement against traditional, stodgy marketing. A must-read for the new generation of marketers who will be defining tomorrow’s marketing landscape.”
—Boutros Boutros, Senior Vice President, Emirates Airline
About the Book:
Movement marketing is changing the world. It’s the new way forward for anyone trying to win customers’ loyalty, influence public opinion, and even change the world. In Uprising, Scott Goodson, founder and CEO of StrawberryFrog, the world’s first cultural movement agency, shows how your idea or organization can successfully ride this wave of cultural movements to authentically connect to the lives and passions of people everywhere.
We are in the midst of a profound cultural transformation in which technology is making it easier than ever for anyone to share ideas, goals, and interests. Working with companies and brands ranging from SmartCar to Pampers to Jim Beam to India’s Mahindra Group, StrawberryFrog and Goodson have led a paradigm focal shift away from one-on-one selling to sharing.
Using client case studies and contributions from a global team of movement marketing forerunners—among them, political guru Mark McKinnon; Lee Clow, creative chief at TBWA/Chiat/Day; Apple evangelist Guy Kawasaki; and Marty Cooke, who helped make yellow LIVESTRONG bracelets synonymous with the fight against cancer—Goodson details why and how individuals and companies are embracing the movement phenomenon. He then applies these insights to practical steps that you can take right now to reach people through what matters most to them, including:
- Stop talking about yourself—let the movement control your message
- Home in on the core objectives of your concept or brand—and align these values with what people are for (or against)
- “Light the spark”—create a culture within your organization that can embrace and drive a movement
- Leverage your assets—content, events, expertise, connecting platforms—to give people tools to spread your gospel
- Adjust concepts to travel across borders and link people across cultural boundaries
The examples and guidance in this book will prepare you to find, connect to, and even lead the next big movement. What happens next is up to you. Get up. Go out. And create a brand Uprising of your own.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Uprising: How to Build a Brand--and Change the World--By Sparking Cultural Movements
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 1 What Is a Movement?
- Chapter 2 From “Thinking Small” to Getting “Real”
- Chapter 3 Why Do People Start and Join Movements?
- Chapter 4 Why Movements Are Suddenly Becoming . . . a Movement
- Chapter 5 Ideas on the Rise
- Chapter 6 Lighting the Spark
- Chapter 7 Sustaining a Movement—and Taking It Global
- Chapter 8 Why the Future Belongs to Movements
- Title: Uprising: How to Build a Brand--and Change the World--By Sparking Cultural Movements
- Release date: February 2012
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071782814
You might also like
Flee 9 to 5: Get 6 - 7 Figures and Do What You Love
How to quit the rat race, do what you love, and make money doing it Ben …
Fail Fast or Win Big
Entrepreneurs have long been taught that to be successful, they need to spend months perfecting a …
Sport Business in the United States
Sport is big business in the USA. From collegiate sport through to the professional leagues, the …
The Freaks Shall Inherit the Earth: Entrepreneurship for Weirdos, Misfits, and World Dominators
Do you ever wonder where you fit in? Do you sometimes get that feeling that you …