Affordable 3D printers are rapidly becoming everyday additions to the desktops and worktables of entertainment design practitioners – whether working in theatre, theme parks, television and film, museum design, window displays, animatronics, or… you name it! We are beginning to ask important questions about these emerging practices:
· How can we use 3D fabrication to make the design and production process more efficient?
· How can it be used to create useful and creative items?
· Can it save us from digging endlessly through thrift store shelves or from yet another late-night build?
· And when budgets are tight, will it save us money?
This quick start guide will help you navigate the alphabet soup that is 3D printing and begin to answer these questions for yourself. It outlines the basics of the technology, and its many uses in entertainment design. With straightforward and easy-to-follow information, you will learn ways to acquire printable 3D models, basic methods of creating your own, and tips along the way to produce successful prints.
Over 70 professionals contributed images, guidance, and never-before-seen case studies filled with insider secrets to this book, including tutorials by designer and pioneer, Owen M. Collins.
Table of contents
- PART I: The Basics
PART II: Workflow
- Chapter 3: Acquiring a Model
- Chapter 4: Creating your own 3D Model
- Chapter 5: Fixing and Finalizing
- Chapter 6: Printing
- Chapter 7: Troubleshooting
PART III: The Entertainment Industry
- Chapter 8: Scenic Applications
- Chapter 9: Costume Applications
- Chapter 10: Character Design and Fabrication
- Chapter 11: Exhibit Design
- Chapter 12: Additional Disciplines
- Title: 3D Printing Basics for Entertainment Design
- Release date: October 2017
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781351610810
You might also like
Exploring Arduino, 2nd Edition
The bestselling beginner Arduino guide, updated with new projects! Exploring Arduino makes electrical engineering and embedded …
Learn Electronics with Arduino
This book is your introduction to to physical computing with the Arduino microcontroller platform. No prior …
Zero to Maker, 2nd Edition
Zero to Maker is part memoir and part how-to guidebook for anyone who is having thoughts …
C++ Crash Course
Upgrade your Code with C++ C++ is one of the most widely used languages for real-world …