Suitable for newcomers to computer science, A Concise Introduction to Programming in Python provides a succinct, yet complete, first course in computer science using the Python programming language.
The book features:
- Short, modular chapters with brief and precise explanations, intended for one class period
- Early introduction of basic procedural constructs such as functions, selection, and repetition, allowing them to be used throughout the course
- Objects are introduced in the middle of the course, and class design comes toward the end
- Examples, exercises, and projects from a wide range of application domains, including biology, physics, images, sound, mathematics, games, and textual analysis
- No external libraries are required, simplifying the book’s use in common lab spaces
Each chapter introduces a main idea through a concrete example and a series of exercises. Designed to teach programming in a concise, yet comprehensive way, this book provides a timely introduction for students and anyone interested in learning Python.