Audio Production Tips: Getting the Sound Right at the Source provides practical and accessible information detailing the production processes for recording today’s bands. By demonstrating how to "get the sound right at the source," author Peter Dowsett lays the appropriate framework to discuss the technical requirements of optimizing the sound of a source. Through its coverage of critical listening, pre-production, arrangement, drum tuning, gain staging and many other areas of music production, Audio Production Tips allows you to build the wide array of skills that apply to the creative process of music production. Broken into two parts, the book first presents foundational concepts followed by more specific production advice on a range of instruments.
- Important in-depth coverage of music theory, arrangement and its applications.
- Real life examples with key references to the author’s music production background.
- Presents concepts alongside the production of a track captured specifically for the book.
- A detailed companion website, including audio, video, Pro Tools session files of the track recording process, and videos including accompanying audio that can be examined in the reader’s DAW.
Please visit the accompanying companion website, available at www.audioproductiontips.com, for resources that further support the book’s practical approach.
Table of Contents
- 1 Production Philosophies, Your Ears and Critical Listening
- 2 Project Management and Pre-Production
- 3 Basic Music Theory
- 4 Song Structure, Lyrics and Melody
- 5 Advanced Music Theory
- 6 Arrangement and Orchestration
- 7 Demystifying Recording Levels
- 8 Microphone, Pre-Amp and Live Room Choice
- 9 The Critical Listening Environment
- 10 Decision-Making and General Recording Techniques
- 11 Tracking Drums
- 12 Tracking Electric and Bass Guitar
- 13 Tracking Other Instrumentation
- 14 Tracking Vocals
- Title: Audio Production Tips
- Release date: October 2015
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781317614203