“A thimbleful of red is redder than a bucketful.”

–Henri Matisse



The term gobo is often reserved for lens filters and patterns that are affixed to theater lights. In my work, I place objects between the light and the subject to shape and create color. These objects are not attached to the light, so flag and cucoloris (often referred to as a cookie) are more accurate terms for them; for the sake of simplicity, however, I’ll use the term “gobo” to encompass all such modifiers. It could be something purchased from a camera shop or a found object, such as a tree branch or chain-link fence—as long as it modifies the light. You can even use a colored gel as a gobo.


As I covered in the previous chapter, when using ...

Get Chroma now with the O’Reilly learning platform.

O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from nearly 200 publishers.