2G/GSM and 3G/UMTS are key mobile communication technologies, chosen by more than 2 billion people around the world. In order to adapt to new services, increasing demand for user bandwidth, quality of service and requirements for network convergence, major evolutions are introduced in 3G network standard.
Evolved Packet System (EPS) presents the EPS evolution of the 3G/UMTS standard introduced by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) standard committee. This new topic is looked at from a system perspective, from the radio interface to network and service architecture. Hundreds of documents being issued by Standard organisations are summarised in one book to allow the reader to get an accessible comprehensive view of EPS evolution.
Proposes a system view of Evolved UMTS, from the radio to Core and service architecture
Gives a comprehensive and global view of the system that technical specifications do not provide
Describes the new system as well as the inheritance and migration from 2G/GSM and 3G/UMTS
Written by experts in the field who specialise in two complementary but very different technical domains (i.e. "radio interface" and "network architecture")
Contains many figures and examples for better understanding.
This book is essential for industry professionals in the telecommunication business, telecommunication system architects and designers, product manufacturers and operators and postgraduate students.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- 1: Introduction
- 2: Evolved UMTS Overview
3: Physical Layer of E-UTRAN
- 3.1 Basic Concepts of Evolved 3G Radio Interface
- 3.2 OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex)
- 3.3 MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output)
- 3.4 Architecture of the Base Station
- 3.5 The E-UTRAN Physical Layer Standard
- 3.6 FDD and TDD Arrangement for E-UTRAN
- 3.7 Downlink Scheme: OFDMA (FDD/TDD)
- 3.8 Uplink Scheme: SC-FDMA (FDD/TDD)
- 4: Evolved UMTS Architecture
- 5: Life in EPS Networks
- 6: The Services
- Title: Evolved Packet System (EPS): The LTE and SAE Evolution of 3G UMTS
- Release date: February 2008
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470059760