“There’s no question you’re going to be a better Flex and Rails developer when you’re done reading this book.”
–From the Foreword by Matt Chotin, Senior Product Manager, Adobe Systems, Inc.
Adobe Flex enables the rapid development of rich and engaging user experiences. Ruby on Rails dramatically simplifies the development of database-driven web applications. Now there’s a book that shows how to use the newest versions of both frameworks together to create state-of-the-art Rich Internet Applications (RIAs).
Flex on Rails begins with the absolute essentials: setting up your environment for Flex and Rails, passing data with XML, and integrating Flex front-ends with Rails back-ends. Then, using practical, easy-to-understand code examples, the authors take you from the basics to advanced topics only discussed in this book. Techniques covered here include
Constructing sophisticated interfaces that can’t be created with AJAX alone
Using RESTful services to expose applications for access via APIs
Testing Flex and Rails together
Using Flex Frameworks
Getting Flex into your build/deploy process
The authors also offer practical introductions to powerful complementary technologies, such as RubyAMF and Juggernaut.
Written by developers with extensive experience using both frameworks, this book covers the new Adobe Flex 3 and Ruby on Rails 2 from the ground up. Even if you have minimal experience with Flex or Rails, you’ll learn all you need to know to use them to build exceptional production applications.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Developer’s Library
- Acknowledgments from Tony Hillerson
- Acknowledgments from Daniel Wanja
- About the Authors
- I. Flex and Rails Essentials
II. Cookbook Recipes
- 10. Source Control Flex and Rails Projects
- 11. Building Flex with Rake
- 12. Deploying Flex and Rails Applications
- 13. Read the Source!
- 14. Using Observers to Clean Up Code
- 15. Authenticating
- 16. Reusing Commands with Prana Sequences
- 17. Hierarchical Data with RubyAMF
- 18. Advanced DataGrid and Awesome Nested Set
- 19. Runtime Flex Configuration with Prana
- 20. Server Push with Juggernaut
- 22. File Upload
- Title: Flex on Rails: Building Rich Internet Applications with Adobe Flex 3 and Rails 2
- Release date: December 2008
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780321574305