Life's too short to be unhappy at work
"I'm working harder than I ever have, and I don't know if it's worth it anymore." If you're a manager or leader, these words have probably run through your mind. So many of us are feeling fed up, burned out, and unhappy at work: the constant pressure and stress, the unending changes, the politics--people feel as though they can't give much more, and performance is suffering.
But it's work, after all, right? Should we even expect to be fulfilled and happy at work?
Yes, we should, says Annie McKee, coauthor of the bestselling Primal Leadership. In her new transformative book, she makes the most compelling case yet that happiness--and the full engagement that comes with it--is more important than ever in today's workplace, and she sheds new light on the powerful relationship of happiness to individual, team, and organizational success.
Based on extensive research and decades of experience with leaders, this book reveals that people must have three essential elements in order to be happy at work:
- A sense of purpose and the chance to contribute to something bigger than themselves
- A vision that is powerful and personal, creating a real sense of hope
- Resonant, friendly relationships
With vivid and moving real-life stories, the book shows how leaders can use these powerful pillars to create and sustain happiness even when they're under pressure. By emphasizing purpose, hope, and friendships they can also ensure a healthy, positive climate for their teams and throughout the organization.
How to Be Happy at Work deepens our understanding of what it means to be truly fulfilled and effective at work and provides clear, practical advice and instruction for how to get there--no matter what job you have.
Table of contents
- Front Cover
- Introduction: Life Is Too Short to Be Unhappy at Work: Happiness Is a Choice
- 1. Why Happiness Matters at Work: If You Sacrifice Happiness, You Sacrifice Success
- 2. The Happiness Traps: Myths That Hold Us Back
- 3. The Power of Purpose: Live Your Values and Make a Difference
- 4. The Power of Hope: Optimism Sparks Action
- 5. Yes, You Do Need Friends at Work: Love and Your Tribe in the Workplace
- 6. Hearing the Wake-up Call: Chart a Path to Happiness
- 7. Sharing Happiness at Work: Create a Resonant Microculture on Your Team
- Expanded Table of Contents
- About the Author
- Title: How to Be Happy at Work
- Release date: August 2018
- Publisher(s): Harvard Business Review Press
- ISBN: 9781633696815
You might also like
How to Be Happy at Work
Life's too short to be unhappy at work "I'm working harder than I ever have, and …
Real Happiness at Work
How would you like to be calmer, less distracted, more productive, and more content at your …
What's the Future of Work?
What is the future when more and more work can be done by intelligent machines instead …
How To Be Happy: How Developing Your Confidence, Resilience, Appreciation and Communication Can Lead to a Happier, Healthier You
We all have the capacity to be happy. There may be occasions in your life where …