Chapter 17. The Remaining Oddities

 

The first 90% of the job takes 90% of the time. The remaining 10% of the job requires another 90% of the time.

 
 --Unknown (but oh so true)

Promises were made, and promises should be kept.

Remember that closet full of concepts that burst open and spilled out all over the floor? Well, we have managed to clean up a good deal of the mess, but there are still a few things that we said we would put away — and we will. We can provide a brief explanation of each of these as we shove them back into the closet, just so you are not surprised when you stumble across them in the literature.

Opportunistic Locks (OpLocks)

OpLocks are a caching mechanism.

A client may request an OpLock from an SMB server when it opens a file. If ...

Get Implementing CIFS: The Common Internet File System now with the O’Reilly learning platform.

O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from nearly 200 publishers.