Chapter 1. A Tour of Interactive Computing with Jupyter and IPython
In this chapter, we will cover the following topics:
- Introducing IPython and the Jupyter Notebook
- Getting started with exploratory data analysis in the Jupyter Notebook
- Introducing the multidimensional array in NumPy for fast array computations
- Creating an IPython extension with custom magic commands
- Mastering IPython's configuration system
- Creating a simple kernel for Jupyter
In this introduction, we will give a broad overview of Python, IPython, Jupyter, and the scientific Python ecosystem.
What is Python?
Python is a high-level, open-source, general-purpose programming language originally conceived by Guido van Rossum in the late 1980s (the name was inspired by the British ...