Cause-and-Effect Diagram Overview
Use the Diagram platform to construct cause-and-effect diagrams, also known as Ishikawa charts or fishbone charts. Use these diagrams to:
• Organize the causes of an effect (sources of a problem)
• Identify variables in preparation for further experimentation
Example of a Cause-and-Effect Diagram
You have data about defects in a circuit board. You want to examine the major factors and possible causes of the defects in a diagram.
1. Open the Ishikawa.jmp sample data table.
2. Select Analyze > Quality and Process > Diagram.
3. Select Parent and click X, Parent.
4. Select Child and click Y, Child.
5. Click OK.
Figure 12.2 Ishikawa.jmp Diagram
The major factors are Inspection, Solder process, Raw ...