The default Python shell is fine, but there are alternatives. The most popular option is to install the IPython shell from https://ipython.org. This is also included with the Anaconda distribution, as well as a number of supporting tools that enhance the development experience.
IPython provides a number of enhancements to the regular interactive Python experience, such as:
- Syntax-highlighted interactive shells
- Web-based notebooks that support multimedia output
- Interactive visualizations
- Interactive parallel application development
- Tab completion
- Object exploration
- Magic functions
- Command history
- Direct implementation of shell commands
The following screenshot demonstrates how the IPython shell differs from the default ...