This best-selling casebook, now in its 12th edition, presents a series of real-life scenarios, packed with practical tips, insider insights, and marketing advice. In an engaging, conversational style, each story provides detailed analyses of the decisions and practices that led to major marketing wars, comebacks, mistakes, and successes.
As a supplement or main text, this book can be used in a variety of courses, both undergraduate and graduate, ranging from introduction to marketing, marketing management and strategic marketing. Adopt the whole book, or choose the cases that best fit your syllabus through a simple three-step process in Wiley Custom Select. Visit customselect.wiley.com to get started.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- ABOUT THE AUTHORS
- CHAPTER ONE: Introduction
PART ONE: MARKETING WARS
- CHAPTER TWO: Cola Wars: Coke vs. Pepsi
- CHAPTER THREE: PC Wars: Hewlett-Packard vs. Dell
- CHAPTER FOUR: Airliner Wars: Boeing vs. Airbus
PART TWO: COMEBACKS
- CHAPTER FIVE: McDonald's: Rebirth Through a Low Growth Strategy
- CHAPTER SIX: Harley-Davidson: Building an Enduring Mystique
- CHAPTER SEVEN: Chrysler: Merger Problems and Recovery
PART THREE: MARKETING MANAGEMENT MISTAKES
- CHAPTER EIGHT: Newell's Acquisition of Rubbermaid: An Unbelievable Disappointment
- CHAPTER NINE: Kmart and Sears: A Hedge Fund Manager's Disaster
- CHAPTER TEN: Euro Disney: Bungling a Successful Concept
- CHAPTER ELEVEN: Borders: Too Comfortable with Its Comfy Bookstores
- CHAPTER TWELVE: Maytag: A Sales Promotion Debacle in England and the Allure of Outsourcing
- CHAPTER THIRTEEN: Borden: Letting Brands Wither
- CHAPTER FOURTEEN: United Way: Damage Control for a Nonprofit's Image
PART FOUR: ENTREPRENEURIAL ADVENTURES
- CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Google: Will an Entrepreneurial Giant Continue to Rule?
- CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Starbucks: Can a Model of Growth Reinvent Itself?
- CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: Boston Beer: Is Greater Growth Possible?
PART FIVE: ETHICAL MISTAKES
- CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Merck: The Vioxx Catastrophe
- CHAPTER NINETEEN: MetLife: Deceptive Sales Practices
- CHAPTER TWENTY: Toyota: Accelerating Problems
PART SIX: NOTABLE MARKETING SUCCESSES
- CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: Southwest Airlines: Is It Still the King of Cheap Flights?
- CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: Nike: Is It an Unassailable Powerhouse Brand?
- CHAPTER TWENTY - THREE: Vanguard: Is Advertising Really Needed?
- CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: Conclusions: What We Can Learn
- Title: Marketing Mistakes and Successes, 12th Edition
- Release date: October 2013
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118078464