The pseudo-random number library contains two types of components:
- Engines, which are generators of random numbers; these could produce either pseudo-random numbers with a uniform distribution or, if available, actual random numbers.
- Distributions that convert the output of an engine into a statistical distribution.
All engines (except for random_device) produce integer numbers in a uniform distribution, and all engines implement the following methods:
- min(): This is a static method that returns the minimum value that can be produced by the generator.
- max(): This is a static method that returns the maximum value that can be produced by the generator.
- seed(): This initializes the algorithm with a start value (except for ...