The following is a description of the steps necessary for the recording of a single microphone signal through the use of a typical large-format, analogue in-line console:
• Ensure the control room output is ‘muted’.
• Set the console onto ‘Record’ status (if such function is offered).
• Assign the preferred faders to the channel and the monitor paths, i.e. choose whether to engage ‘Fader Reverse’.
• Set the threshold for the channel ‘Signal Presence’ light (LED) to its minimum level.
• Set the module meters to display ‘Channel Input’ levels, e.g. ‘Channel to Meters’ or ‘Channel I/P’ ...